Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog serves as a forum for Spring Invisible Children 2009 Roadies to share questions, concerns, and feedback with our partners at Resolve Uganda. Alison Jones and Michael Poffenberger from Resolve will use this forum to share useful information and resources pertaining to the developing situation in East Africa and our subsequent political asks here in the US.
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner - we want the UN to be ACTIVELY involved in a protection strategy. Any operation to go in and stop Kony (aka -rescue the child soldiers) is going to create some temporary instability. The UN has forces deployed in both the DRC and Sudan (MONUC and UNMIS, respectively) who should work with regional armies to protect civilian populations. They should also be responsible for setting up a DDR strategy (basically the way you get "combatants" out of the bush). --- Building radio towers to tell them how to escape, setting up rehabilitation centers, etc. And we want any rescue operation to have the backing of the UN (if possible) - to add legitimacy. Let me know if you need more info!
ReplyDeleteHi Allison! This is Sarah Chaplin from east coast. I can't login for some reason to make an actual post, but I have a question.
ReplyDeleteWe got this question at a screening and I wasn't quite sure what the right answer to this would be:
Have we lobbied the African Union or are we going to?
I thought it would be something bigger than us, more of the ICC's job to lobby them but I'm not sure. What do you think?